Currently, Miami is mostly seen as a town to party in or a town for so many other industries that are not tech. These perceptions are about to change, as more talented people are turning their attention to this delightful place.
On today’s episode, Alexis Ohanian - one of the co-founders of Reddit, and Andrew Parker – the founder of Papa share with us their entrepreneurial journeys. Alexis invested in Andrew’s business, and together they discuss what it's like to grow a business.
Alexis Ohanian co-founded Initialized Capital with Garry Tan, in 2012. Alexis's expertise includes product, marketing, and community, and he is a prolific early-stage investor. Alexis was a co-founder of Reddit, the third-largest website in the US, which was funded by Y Combinator in 2005 and acquired by Condé Nast in 2006. He also served as a partner at Y Combinator and wrote the bestselling book Without Their Permission.
Andrew Parker is the founder and CEO of Papa – a Florida-based tech startup. He started the company to support a personal need with his grandfather. Papa provides on-demand personal assistance and socialization to seniors.
So, listen to Episode 05, to learn about the future of Florida, tech-wise, and what we can do to attract more people to start their business here.
- How Initialized was born. (2:32)
- How Papa became a business. (4:21)
- Alexis’s experience with Y Combinator. (5:26)
- How did Alexis and Andrew meet? (7:51)
- Andrew discusses national expansion (11:52)
- Alexis on Florida vs California deal flow (12:39)
- The tech that Alexis and Andrew see coming down the road (16:33)
- The reasons why technology can never replace the human touch. (18:08)
- Recruiting the right talent in Florida (20:43)
- What Florida needs to do right now, to become an important player in the tech space. (21:22)
Listen to the Full Episode
Don't Miss an Episode
Listen to previous episodes of the Investing in Florida Technology podcast.
You can always hear the latest investing tips and insights by subscribing to the podcast on:
Ready to Become an Investor?
Register as an accredited investor to access material about each opportunity, including videos, presentations, deal terms, and more. Start here.